Saturday, March 16, 2019

Lonely thoughts on a beach




















When I last saw you
I thought I’d be back.
I didn’t think my good-bye
was so-long forever.

But here I sit on the beach,
looking beyond the cold ocean,
wondering where you are, 
how you’re doing,
if you still remember me.

I’m okay if you’re curious.
My studies were followed by jobs
and before you know it
I was practically American.

But I’m not quite all-American.
There’s no house with a white picket fence
or dogs running around a yard 
or a spouse with kids in my home.

Instead there are nights on WhatsApp,
Instagram, Facebook, Twitter,
with the TV on and bed unmade.
There are weekend days on the beach,
cold days, warm days, lonely days.

Yes, I got the education and career I wanted,
but I still don’t have you.
Will you be coming over any time soon?
Or should I came back for you?
Anyway, where are you?




copyright Charles A. Bruns, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment