Sunday, October 18, 2015

Ringer


A few fast claps of the hand
after my favorite soccer team
scored a third quick goal 
and off it slipped.

I looked down and saw it
catch the late afternoon
rays of the sun 
as it descended 
to the section of seats below
and bounce
and bounce again.

I fixed my eyes on its resting spot
and looked at the people 
sitting around it, unaware.
I paused for a whole second
before quickly making my way
down to retrieve it.

I rushed past the usher
and down a few rows 
to where it rested,
its gold skin still glistening,
and put it back on my finger.

"No way I'm losing my wedding ring
after 34 years with my wife
at a game where the Red Bulls 
are winning,"
I explained to a curious onlooker.

And just as quickly
I returned upstairs to my seat,
to be with my wife 
for the rest of the match
and, God willing, 
another 34 years with my ring.


No comments:

Post a Comment