Monday, March 24, 2014

Jim Cummins, distinguished photographer and teacher, on exhibit in New York


There are people who pass quickly through your life, but leave a long-lasting mark.  Jim Cummins, a distinguished photographer and formerly an adjunct professor at Seton Hall University, is one of those people. Soon, his work will leave an impression on many other people.

I saw Jim just over a dozen times during the spring semester of my sophomore year, during my weekly still photography class.  I had never used a camera before taking his class, but I've rarely not had one handy since then. He taught me how to compose a frame, set the right exposure, and time a shot. He explained why the ASA/ISO setting, f-stop and shutter speed matter. 

Cummins told his students not to bother getting a pricey camera, but instead showed us how to master any camera in order to freeze an image.  He also instructed us how to use chemicals, dark room equipment and special film processing techniques to enhance pictures.

The photography skills he taught me have served me very well through life as a chronicler of family and friends, special moments, and interesting sights.  Whether it's an event, vacation, business trip or simply a day in a city or countryside, I've almost always been there with an inexpensive camera, often taking priceless pictures. My two sons are major beneficiaries of what Cummins taught me, with many photo albums of memorable and forgotten times theirs for the taking.

I don't remember Cummins saying anything about the famous people he captured on film during his career.  He knew the class was for the benefit of his students, not his ego.  It wasn't until many years later, in fact, that I learned he had photographed Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and many other stars and garnered numerous accolades for his great work.

An exhibit, "Jim Cummins / Photos From The Golden Age of Rock," displaying some of his restored and preserved photos of 1960s and '70s music legends, will be held at the Baboo Gallery in the Flatiron district of New York City this spring.  For more information on this exhibit, which opens with a reception on April 10 at which Cummins will be present, go to CumminsCollection.ImageFortress.com or write to BabooGalleryEvents@gmail.com or call 212.727.2727.


















Photo of Jim Cummins used with permission of Image Fortess Corp.

2 comments: